Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Past-Burning Party or Not A Divorce-Party

This might seem a little weird but on Saturday I had what I like to call a Past-Burning party. I am almost officially divorced (the court hearing is today, next month it becomes final) and I wanted to hold some sort of ceremony to mark it.

When you get married, people come and celebrate it. When your partner dies, you have another ceremony and stick it in the paper, and people around you can support you. When you get divorced, it's as big an event as the wedding, it's as big a loss as a death, but nothing really happens for the outside world to see what's going on, or to mark it in any way.

I have heard of divorce parties, but I didn't want that exactly. I also didn't want people to think that I'm celebrating the actual divorce or real bitter over it or anything. As far as I'm concerned, it's in the past and I might still be getting over the side effects you could say (medication and all :) ). And I also wanted to burn a bunch of photos and personal items. Both for it's symbolic and cathartic kind of burning and going up in smoke and so all those photos aren't living on in my imagination, strewn all over the tip!

I only wanted to invite certain people there & not a lot of people ended up being able to make it, some people I forgot to invite, (sorry if you're one of them haha). But, like a wedding, at least I could tell a bunch of people what was happening :). Everyone thought burning items was fun, once they got over the idea of it, I think :)






1 comment:

  1. Hey Sez, Thanks heaps for the invite, and sorry I couldnt be there to join you. I hope it was very therapuetic and letting go for you. I think it is an excellent idea to have people around you at this time xo

    ReplyDelete