Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Rhubarb Pie for me

I have been thinking a lot about rhubarb lately, to the extent that I finally went out and bought two rhubarb crowns & planted them in the garden. They might not be ready to harvest until next year, but I'm very proud of them :). I want to make rhubarb jam one day, but I think that will be happening with some bought rhubarb :)

My mum had been talking about a rhubarb and banana pie she had, which she proclaimed the most beautiful pie she'd ever eaten. I actually vaguely remember eating a rhubarb and banana crumble once. Nice, comforty, creamy dessert.

So, the other day I bought some rhubarb on special & made this lovely pie from this recipe. I actually STILL don't have a pie dish, so I had to use a casserole dish (as you do), and so it wasn't quite mushy enough in the middle, but it tasted (and smelled!) absolutely delicious!! It was very sweet, but I can handle that ;). I'm going to make it again, in a proper pie dish (lol) and serve it with nice home-made custard (not the packet mix kind, either, the proper stuff with an egg yolk & corn flour, etc:)). MMMMMMM. My mum thought it was a hit!

Here's the recipe, too. Pretty easy to make really.


Fresh Banana Rhubarb Pie

Ingredients:

1/2 pound Fresh rhubarb
3 Medium bananas
1 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Orange juice
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 tablespoon Butter
1 9" unbaked double pie crust

Procedure:

Prepare pastry. Slice rhubarb (should yield 3 cups). Slice bananas (should yield 3 cups). Combine ingredients except butter and crust. Spread into pie crust. Dot with butter. Place crust on top. Bake at 450 degrees F. for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until browned. From The Central Market Cookbook by Phyllis Good.

(The pie crust is a little burnt on the exposed bits because I had to use gluten-free flour)

1 comment:

  1. This looks gorgous,I love homemade pastry and ruhbarb pie yummo

    ReplyDelete